About Me

Welcome to Cabbages and Kings- where I will share musings of my life and adventures.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sibs

Apparently yesterday was sibling day. Were you aware that there was a day for siblings? I was not. That is until I checked facebook this morning and found a plethora of statuses about Sibling Day and photos of my friends with their brothers and sisters, many of them at least ten years ago.
Had I known about sibling day I doubt I would have behaved at all differently, but I do like the idea of a day for siblings. After all, what's better than your sibs?

I'm the middle child in my family. Each of my parents had a kid with another partner before they got hitched, then they had me and my little sister. Technically there are four of us so there isn't really a middle kid, but only three of us ever lived together at the same time, and each parent only had three children... so I'm in the middle.

I was thinking about this today as I watched my first ever episode of "The Middle" 
(I was underwhelmed, but it had its moments.) 
In this episode the father mentions that his oldest son is his favorite child  and the middle kid (the only daughter) makes it her mission to bond with her dad so they will have more in common and, basically, so he'll like her more. Kind of sweet actually, but the daughter is annoying and the dad soon tires of all the father-daughter time. Ultimately the daughter decides that her brother gets more attention because he's more trouble, and she tries to act out to get noticed. This backfires and the family doesn't notice her when she goes missing for a few hours.
(I really hope I didn't just ruin this for you. 
For a show I wasn't too into, I clearly have plenty to say about it.)

Anyway... I completely get the middle child thing. 
Overall my sisters were much more trouble than I was and it was easy to skate by pretty unnoticed. 
Over the years I've guilt tripped the heck out of my folks for some of these middle child slights (and some of them truly did upset me as a kid) but the truth is 
I LOVE my place in the family. 
I love that I have awesome older sisters who can share their experiences, give me useful advice, and 
always had the coolest clothes and makeup. 
I also have the most fabulous little sister 
(now a good 4 inches taller than me) 
who kept me silly, taught me how to be responsible, and is probably the real reason I was sane 
(and not totally wild) when my parents split up 
when I was in jr. high.

You three are amazing and the bestest siblings 
a girl could ever have!

-Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment